In this episode, we welcome members of UVAFinance's Inclusive Excellence Committee and Equity Action Team to discuss the trajectory of diversity and inclusion efforts in UVAFinance. Our guests are Melody Bianchetto, ToShun Campbell, LaVerne Harris, and James Cobb.
- More on the UVAFinance blog about Inclusive Excellence activities: http://uvafinance.blogspot.com/search/label/Inclusive%20Excellence
- More on the UVAFinance Website about DEI (scroll down and click on Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion): https://uvafinance.virginia.edu/about-uvafinance
- DEI at UVA: https://dei.virginia.edu/inclusive-excellence
- Previous Pods featuring Inclusive Excellence and Brave Space discussions: https://uvafinance.blogspot.com/2020/10/new-on-finance-matters-brave-space-in.html
A Sampling of Previous Sprint Discussion Topics:
Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man, ft. White Allergies
Book Discussion: Master of the Mountain: Thomas Jefferson & His Slaves
- CBS News: MLK’s “content of character” quote inspires debate
- PBS: Why Colorblindness is not the right approach to race
- Traci Ellis TEDx: The Exceptional Negro: Fighting to be Seen in a Colorblind World
- Oprah Magazine: Being “Color Blind” Doesn’t Make You Not Racist – In Fact, It Can Mean the Opposite.
History of Race at UVA with Professor Kirt von Daacke:
- UVA and The History of Race
- UVA Group Honors Unknown Slaves at Burial Site, Sets Stage for Future Work
- From Kitchens to Gravesites: Commission Explores History of Slavery at UVA
- Racial Equity Task Force Releases Report, 12 Key Recommendations for Action
Inclusive Mindset for Committed Allies (LinkedIn Learning)
Defund the Police discussion with UVA Chief of Police Tim Longo:
- Brookings Institute: What does ‘defund the police’ mean and does it have merit?
- CNN: There’s a growing call to defund the police. Here’s what it means
A Capital Insurrection
- An interview with UVA historian, Caroline Janney: The Dark Familiarity of Trump’s Lost Cause
- Time Magazine: The 1898 Wilmington Massacre Is an Essential Lesson in How State Violence Has Targeted Black Americans
- NPR: The Lies We Tell Ourselves About Race
- Charles Blow: The greatest threat to our democracy
- Reveal News: Remembering a White Supremacist Coup
- Annette John-Hall: The Capitol insurrection was never about the election. It was about white supremacy
The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
Viruses don't see race, right?
- Johns Hopkins COVID-19 Map
- American medicine was built on the backs of slaves.
- UVA and the History of Race: Eugenics, the Racial Integrity Act, Health Disparities-integrity-act-health-disparities
- The Tuskegee Study
- Meet Onesimus the Enslaved African Who Saved Boston from Smallpox
- For Black Americans, COVID-19 is a reminder of the racism of US healthcare
Why African American communities are being hit hard by COVID-19